The voluntary committee of ACTJCL is responsible for –
• Interschool chess for around 1500 primary & secondary school students each year, including assistance & advice to many individual schools as they develop chess clubs & chess programs;
• Three weekly junior club programs and one affiliated program;
• Around 15 weekend tournaments each year, including Australia’s largest Under 8 and Girls’ events (and, per capita, the highest overall rate of participation in Australia!);
• A Development Squad program;
• Grandmaster coaching weekends;
• School holiday programs;
• Canberra Chess Chicks;
• Support for representative players overseas;
• Support for representative players and school teams at national events;
• Development of young coaches, arbiters and administrators from the ranks of our older juniors.
It has been the aim of ACTJCL to ensure children and young people can find the same range of events, activities and opportunities in ACT chess as those they would expect in any other “physical” sport. We participate actively in the programs of Sport and Recreation ACT and we are members of the Australian Sports Commission’s Club Development Network.